If you have teeth that are crowded or crooked, then the impact on the appearance of your smile is obvious. But what about the impacts on your overall oral health? In today’s blog, we’re going to take a look at how misalignment can hurt your smile, and how Invisalign can help!
Try Our Quiz on Misalignment and Invisalign
- True or False: An uneven smile can lead to tooth decay and gum disease.
- True or False: There is a link between misalignment and TMJ disorder.
- True or False: Invisalign aligners are barely visible.
- True or False: Treatment takes about a year.
- True. Poor bite alignment provides plenty of places for food particles to become trapped. Even if you brush and floss, you can have difficulty removing the food particles, allowing them to be broken down by bacteria. Soon, oral acidity and plaque buildup can occur, leading to a greater risk of tooth decay, gingivitis, and gum disease.
- True. An uneven smile often impacts how your bite fits together. An uneven bite can place inordinate pressure on the jaw joints, which increases the risk of TMJ disorder and bruxism (teeth grinding).
- True. Instead of metal braces, we can use a series of aligners created from a BPA-free plastic to correct misalignment and help improve the health (and appearance) of your smile. You will wear a set of aligners every day between 20 and 22 hours, upgrading to a new set about once every two weeks.
- True. The exact amount of time will depend on the cause and extent of the patient’s misalignment. Average treatment takes about a year, but some patients may need up to 18 months.
Munilla Dental Can Correct Your Uneven Smile
At Munilla Dental, we can help you enjoy an even and healthier smile! We can use a series of clear plastic aligners to improve the beauty of your smile. You can schedule a dental consultation by calling Munilla Dental today at (817) 379-1200. Located in Southlake, TX, we also welcome families from Keller, Colleyville, Grapevine, West Lake, Trophy Club, and North Richland Hills.