We understand that some patients require special needs. Those with anxiety or developmental disorders may need special care to undergo even minor dental treatment. Do you have questions about dental sedation for special needs dentistry?
Try Our Quiz on Special Need Dentistry
- True or False: Nitrous oxide wears off quickly.
- True or False: We can also provide oral sedation.
- True or False: We can combine our calming solutions.
- True. Also known as laughing gas, this is the most common choice for helping patients enter a relaxed state. We administer the gas via a mask over the nose. The patient breathes in the nitrous oxide and enters a calm state. He or she will have little to no memory of the procedure afterward, and the effects wear of quickly, so he or she can return to normal daily routines.
- True. For patients requiring a more serious form of sedation, we may recommend oral sedation. The patient takes a pill in the hours before the procedure. We recommend avoiding heavy meals or any drinks besides water in the eight hours before the procedure. When the effects begin, the patient enters a much deeper state of relaxation. Again, there will be no memory of the procedure, but the effects will take time to wear off so there may be some grogginess after the procedure.
- True. We may also assist those with special needs or dental anxiety by combining the two calming solutions. In deciding which option to use, we will look at a patient’s age, weight, and medical history. We will also assess the patient’s needs or level of anxiety. We want to make sure the patient has a comfortable and enjoyable experience at the office, and that we can help improve overall oral health. If you have any questions about our approach to special need dentistry, then please contact our team today.
Do You have Questions About Dental Sedation?
We can provide solutions for patients with special needs, including calming sedation. You can schedule an appointment with Munilla Dental in Southlake, TX by calling 817-379-1200.