Missing teeth can impact our oral health, as well as our ability to eat and speak. Addressing tooth loss can return your quality of life and also provide a boost to your overall health. In order to address tooth loss, we may recommend implant dentistry. How do we place dental implants? What should a patient expect from the procedure?
Try Our Quiz on Dental Implant Placement
- True or False: We will need to perform an initial examination.
- True or False: The implants act as new tooth roots.
- True or False: We complete them with a custom restoration.
- True or False: We can secure dentures and bridges.
- True. First, we need to assess your candidacy. We will look for any underlying health issues that require treatment, such as infections or periodontal disease. Advanced gum disease can lead to implant failure, so we need to properly manage this disease first. We will also look at the strength of your jawbone, as tooth loss can weaken jawbone tissue and potentially leave it tooth weak to support a new tooth without bone grafting.
- True. The procedure begins with choosing the site of placement and then inserting the implant into the jawbone via oral surgery. The dental implant will then bond with the jawbone, since it’s made from biocompatible titanium, and act as a new tooth root. This leads to greater stability and also strengthens the jawbone by stimulating the growth of tissue.
- True. After the area heals, you return to the office so we can add an abutment that holds a custom-made dental crown in place, completing your new tooth.
- True. If you’ve lost multiple teeth, we may place several dental implants to support a bridge or possibly even a dental crown. If you have any questions about the process, or if you would like to see if dental implants can help fill the gaps in your smile, please contact our team today.
Ready to Try Implant Dentistry?
We can help you obtain a whole and healthy smile once again with implant dentistry. You can schedule an appointment with Munilla Dental in Southlake, TX by calling 817-379-1200.