You’ve heard your dentist say it before: You need a checkup and cleaning. But why? The fact is, even if you brush and floss every day that’s not enough to maintain optimal oral health. However, these simple preventive visits can go a long way towards keeping your smile healthy and functional!
Try Our Quiz on Checkups and Cleanings
- True or False: A checkup can identify developing problems.
- True or False: Cleanings can remove plaque buildup.
- True or False: You need one twice a year.
- True or False: Kids need preventive visits too.
- True. During a checkup, we look at the teeth, gums, jaw joints, and oral tissues. We can then identify the presence of developing problems, such as the early stages of decay or gingivitis. We can also look for the tell-tale warning signs of TMJ disorder and bruxism. We also perform screenings for oral cancer as well. Identifying these issues in the early stages increases the chances of a full recovery and prevents the problems from worsening.
- True. We will use an ultrasonic scaler to remove plaque and tartar accumulation from the teeth. Doing so limits the risk of gum problems and tooth decay. Afterward, we will polish the teeth leaving a smooth finisher (as well as a brighter smile and fresher breath).
- True. The American Dental Association recommends a dental cleaning and checkup twice a year, and we agree! At least once every six months you should make time for a routine exam and dental cleaning, which can help you smile stay healthy and bright.
- True. Children are also susceptible to tooth decay and gingivitis, so a routine exam and cleaning is just as important for them as well. If you have any questions, or if you would like to make an appointment for your family, then please contact our team today.
Ready to Make an Appointment?
Our team can see you and your family in January, allowing you to start the year off right with your oral health. You can schedule an appointment with Munilla Dental in Southlake, TX by calling 817-379-1200.